The data we collect
Hubstaff collects data in two places, the website (https://hubstaff.com) and our input clients (Mac, Windows, Linux, Chromebook, Android, and iOS).
- Payment Information - If you have selected a plan in Hubstaff we will collect your credit card number which will be transmitted via SSL encryption to our merchant provider (Stripe).
- Information collected during signup - Name, email, company size, password, phone (optional), and skype handle (optional)
- You can optionally upload a photo
Information collected during setup – Organization name, team size, currency, logo (optional), preferred settings, team member’s email and role.
- Information about a job offered or desired, your skills and experience, your company or agency, and related information shared through Hubstaff Talent
- Some of this information can be reviewed and edited on the Account page of Our Website.
- Automatic Data Collection:
- As you navigate and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, and other data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
- The information we collect automatically helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service. The automatic data collection includes cookies:
- As you browse the Hubstaff's website, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partner, AdRoll, then enables us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with the Hubstaff's website. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address or telephone number. You can visit this page (http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/) to opt out of AdRoll and their partners’ targeted advertising. Hubstaff’s website does not repond to “do not track” signals from web browsers.
- Information collected by our desktop applications (Mac, Windows and Linux):
- Screenshots, applications currently being worked on, web URLs visited, time you are active, the operating system you are using, whether or not you have an input device such as a monitor, whether your mouse is actively moving or not, the names of projects or tasks being worked on, the amount of time worked on those tasks, the browser version you are using, and whether your keyboard is being typed on. Note: Hubstaff is not a keylogging program. It does not know what you are typing; rather, Hubstaff merely records whether your keyboard is active or inactive.
- Information collected by the Hubstaff mobile app (iOS and Android):
- Hubstaff uses the GPS device on your phone to store its location and display this on a map at Hubstaff.com and your mobile device. This data is only collected if the mobile app is being used.
You also may provide information to be posted on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (collectively, "User Contributions"). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Options to limit data collection
Because your privacy is important to Hubstaff, we have built features that allow your manager to place limitations on the collection of specific data, or restrict such collection altogether.
- Screenshots - You have the ability to turn off the collection of screenshots or you can blur them so that text is not readable. In addition, any screenshot that has been taken can be deleted by you or your manager.
- Application and URL Data - Application and URL tracking is an optional feature.
- Locations (mobile only) - Location tracking is an optional feature.
Where your data is stored
Hubstaff stores all activity, app, URL, and GPS data in our database through Heroku which is hosted and managed on Amazon AWS. All screenshots, client error report log files, user avatars, and company logos are stored on Amazon AWS's S3 servers. Hubstaff has chosen Amazon AWS because of its industry standard security levels, uptime of data, and speed. Additionally, your screnshots are obfuscated on Amazon's servers.
You can read more about Amazon’s security measures here:
Transmission of data
All Hubstaff screenshots are uploaded via SSL over the standard HTTPS port (443). Our input clients do all screenshot uploading directly to Amazon S3 (screenshots never pass through our server). We do not upload keystrokes. (We do not even store keystrokes locally.) We upload the total seconds within a 10 min block that there was “activity” and the total seconds “worked” roughly every 10 minutes. This is done via a separate queue within the client which uses SSL (port 443).
Who has access to your data
If you use Hubstaff in your capacity as an employee, your employer has direct access to your data. If you are an independent contractor, the person or entity with whom you contract has direct access to your data. In addition, Hubstaff employees may have access to your data for testing or the general improvement of our software, to notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide through it, or to fulfill the purpose for which you provided it. See our Terms of Service (https://hubstaff.com/terms) for additional information in this regard.